Born on 7th June 1971 to E.V.Subramaniam and Padma Karthick’s greatest encouragement and support have been his parents. Seeing Karthick’s profound interest in percussion, his father put him under the guidance of Sri. ‘Vikku’ Vinayakaram at the age of nine and laid the foundation for an illustrious career which lay ahead. His mother is a good vocalist, having studied at the Thiruvanandapuram Music College and Central College of Carnatic Music, Madras. She sings for dance recitals frequently.
Karthick holds an M.A. and M.Phil Degree in Sanskrit, guided by Dr. S. Ramaratnam, HOD, Vivekananda College, Chennai. His topic for the dissertation in M. Phil is ‘Percussion Instruments in Sanskrit Literature’. Presently, he is pursuing a Ph.D. in Sanskrit. His subject for the dissertation in M.Phil is ‘Percussion Instruments in Sanskrit literature’. Presently, he is pursuing a Ph.D. in Sanskrit.
Karthick has presented papers on his subject in prestigious seminars and has also given several Lecture-demonstrations.
Lesser Known facts about S.Karthick
Karthick has always had a tremendous flair for innovations and improvements. He has tried to enrich the tonal quality of the ghatam further through scientific analysis, soil research and chemical mixtures. Karthick is capable of handling Morsing (Jews Harp) and Konnakol (Verbal Percussion). He also likes to compose lyrics, do leaf painting, glass painting, caricature etc.
Grammy Award Winner, Ghatam Maestro Sri. ‘Vikku’ Vinayakaram and his brother Sri. T.H. Subash Chandran has been guiding Karthick since 1981.
- Performing as accompanist to almost all top ranking artistes of today.
- Karthik is an ‘A’ Grade Artist of All India Radio, Chennai
- Participated in a number of CD Recordings
- Demonstrated for an Audio Cassette on Ghatam playing produced by Ludwig Pesch (Germany), with photographic illustration on playing techniques.
- Presented Lecture-Demonstrations about the Ghatam and its techniques both in India and abroad.
- Played a unique live percussion accompaniment for a recorded classical music Audio.
- Worked with film music directors like A R.Rehman, Ilayaraja, and others.
- Participated in Fusion, Ensembles, Dance Ballets, Jazz, Music Operas and other such innovative programmes.
- Given Benefit performances for various Voluntary organizations for social cause notably Spastic Society of India, CRY etc.
- Karthick was selected as the connoisseur’s favorite of the season in the opinion poll conducted by the Indian Express in the year 1994.